ZITHROMAX AZITHROMYCIN 500MG TABS 3S
Azithromycin is used for the treatment of the following infections, when caused by microorganisms sensitive to azithromycin:
- Acute bacterial sinusitis
- Acute bacterial otitis media
- Pharyngitis and tonsillitis
- Acute exacerbation of chronic bronchitis
- Mild to moderately severe community acquired pneumonia
- Skin and soft tissue infections
- Uncomplicated Chlamydia trachomatis urethritis and cervicitis
In uncomplicated Chlamydia trachomatis urethritis and cervicitis the dose is 1,000 mg as a single oral dose.
For all other indications the dose is 1,500 mg, to be administered as 500 mg per day for three consecutive days. As an alternative the same total dose (1,500 mg) can also be administered over a period of five days with 500 mg on the first day and 250 mg on the second to the fifth day.
The same dose as in adult patients is used for older people. Since elderly people can be patients with ongoing proarrhythmic conditions a particular caution is recommended due to the risk of developing cardiac arrhythmia.
Azithromycin tablets should only be administered to children weighing more than 45 kg when normal adult dose should be used. For children under 45 kg other pharmaceutical forms of azithromycin, e.g. suspensions, may be used.